The mouth is the gateway to the body and it acts as a window to the body. Anything that we eat, drink, or consume goes to the body through the mouth. Dentistry is an important component of medical health as it exclusively studies various conditions and diseases of the oral structures such as teeth, gums, and jaw, as well as their diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
Dentistry is significant not only for oral health but also to live a quality and healthy overall health. A dentist is a medical specialist in diagnosing, treating, and preventing dental health diseases. A dentist has to go through a professional degree for at least eight years.
In the dental clinic, you will encounter several dental professionals who work together in a team to achieve the best results for you, for example, dentists, dental hygienists, dental assistants, therapists, and auxiliary staff. Dentists are further classified based on their specialization such as prosthodontists, endodontists, orthodontists, periodontists, pedodontists, oral and maxilla facial surgeons, etc.
Importance of dentistry
To achieve optimal oral health it is necessary to understand that you and your dental team in the dental clinic need to put in an equal amount of effort. You can avoid many oral health issues from affecting your quality of life and perhaps triggering medical consequences.
Regular dental visits not only assist to keep your mouth healthy and strong, but they also help to maintain the entire body healthy. Dentistry is essential in the following ways
- Pain Management: Dental pain is a common symptom of most dental problems. If an infection is the source of discomfort, it will only grow more, and the infection can result in major problems.
- Keeping your mouth in good health: To avoid significant issues with your teeth and gums, preventive dental care involves only a few simple procedures. Brushing and flossing regularly will improve your oral health, but seeing a dentist regularly is the only guaranteed method to detect and cure issues.
- Prevention of health issues: Inadequate dental care could have negative consequences. Gum disease has been linked to heart disease, and gum disease in pregnant mothers can also signal a risk of premature delivery. Moreover, nearly every systemic illness has an oral connection.
- Boost your self-esteem: Tooth decay and gum disease can cause tooth discoloration, tooth loss, foul breath, and tooth damage. Besides, crooked teeth, misaligned teeth, and spacing between teeth greatly affect the aesthetics and normal functioning. These aesthetic issues can lower your self-esteem and make you feel anxious about your aesthetics. Much of this damage may be avoided with regular dental care, and pre-existing damage can typically be treated and corrected.
- Avoid expensive procedures: Regular checks and cleanings may appear to be an unnecessary investment, but ignoring them might result in pricey procedures. A simple and affordable cavity, for example, might progress deep into decay leading to a pricey root canal or cap.